Wednesday, September 8, 2010

President and Sister Samuelson's Counsel

Yesterday President and Sister Samuelson were the speakers for the first devotional of the semester.

Sister Samuelson spoke of the importance of gratitude. She told the story from the New Testament of the 10 lepers and how they were all healed, but only one returned to thank Jesus. How often in our lives do we accept blessings as they come, but then quickly move on to the next thing? I know that we are so blessed and have so much to be grateful for, even when things are hard. As we work on being grateful in all situations of life, we will find greater joy and peace regardless of what comes our way.
President Samuelson spoke of having appropriate zeal. Near the end of his talk he said, "I can promise you that if you will plan your time, discipline your activities and set your priorities properly, you will grow and develop in all spheres of your lives in ways which would not be possible elsewhere. You need to be intellectually stretched, but also spiritually strengthened." This was very meaningful to me, because of the fact that there is so much going on in my life right now. I think that especially at the beginning of the semester we tend to feel that we are getting pulled in more directions than we can actually go. This promise brought me peace, and I am going to work to apply it in my life!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I have definitely found this to be true at school. Reading a chapter out of your scriptures may turn 30 min of staring at a page in a textbook lifelessly (due to information overload / burnout) only last a fraction of the time.

    ReplyDelete