Monday, December 6, 2010

You are invited . . .

Our group has been working hard to finish our project, The Evaluation of Medical Support Websites.  We created a Prezi for our presentation.  I will post our Prezi on my blog after we present on Thursday.  It has been fun to go back and look at everything we have done up to this point and then try to capture that in a 5 minute presentation. 

As our event draws closer, I have been inviting people who I think will find it especially interesting. 
Today I had an neat experience when I invited Dr. Barnes.  Dr. Michael Barnes is the Health Science Department Chair, but he is also my neighbor and a family friend.  I decided to invite him, because our project involves Public Health, which is in his department.  I stopped by his office to invite him today and give him a flyer.  As I explained what the event is going to be, he became very interested and excited.  It turns out that he is currently doing research involving different aspects of public health and the digital and technological world, so he is excited to come on Thursday night. :) I was excited to find out that it relates to his interests and work even more than I had thought it would.

I also posted a comment on Martha Thornburgh's blog "Opening Doors to Digital Learning", which I talked about in an earlier post.  Since she lives in Washington, I extended an invitation for her to attend either through Skype or to watch the broadcast of our event.

I also contacted the BYU Women's Services and Resources, my Health Promotion professor from last semester who works at the Salt Lake County Health Department, and the BYU Cancer Research Center because I think that they would all be interested in our group's project and the variety of other projects that will be presented.  I am getting excited for Thursday! :)

2 comments:

  1. This is some really great thinking, Katherine. I'm happy to see that you reached beyond simply inviting your close friends and made some contacts to people for whom these ideas can have a big impact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dr. Zappala! I was sorry that more of the people I invited were not able to attend. Since I invited people who are actively involved in a lot of things...they are quite busy. :) I think that the invitations still opened up doors and were beneficial even though they were not able to attend.

    ReplyDelete