Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Atomic Age: Creating a Monster

Nuclear discoveries involving fission during the 1930’s led to interest and research in using it related to weapons, medicine, generating power, and much more.  To me, one of the most fascinating parts about the nuclear discoveries is the fact that it created the possibility for greater benefit and destruction in these areas than the world had previously known.  As one source states, “Once the first atomic bomb was dropped on Japan, Americans realized a new era in history, one defined by the ability of humans to destroy their world.” 

This reminds me of Frankenstein, because these scientist’s discoveries led to the creation of a monster.  In a PBS documentary it was said that J. Robert Oppenheimer, the “father of the atomic bomb”, “tried to warn his countrymen of their dangers, but powerful figures within the government feared he was a treat to America’s security.”  As quoted in the same documentary, Oppenheimer said of his discoveries, “We knew the world would not be the same.  A few people laughed.  A few people cried. Most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu Scripture the Bhagavad-Gita.  Vishnu is trying to persuade the prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says, Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.  I suppose we all thought that one way or another.”

3 comments:

  1. Hey great post, i love how you brought up the example of Frankenstein. Your post actually was actually part of the inspiration for my post: http://laislameecanta.blogspot.com/2010/11/carrying-big-stick-ideas-of-atomic-age.html#more

    I think Oppenheimer's are quite sobering. I think it's interesting the contrast between both the good and the bad that atomic energy can bring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The part that really struck me was "Most people were silent." In an issue such as this I don't think we can afford to be silent. This is a decision that involves everyone- every person on the planet- and so should not begin and end in the the chambers of congress or the laboratories of nuclear scientists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave-Thanks for posting a link to your blog. I really enjoyed reading your post too. I find it interesting that so many things in life can be used for great good or devastating bad and it all comes down to how we choose to use it. (Other examples include: the internet, media in general, power and authority, money, etc.)

    Kristi-I agree that these are issues that we should all be involved in. I like how this class has given us an opportunity to research and think about the issues, so hopefully we be more informed and involved citizens.

    ReplyDelete