Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I'm Grateful for Modern Inventions

With Thanksgiving approaching, I have been thinking a lot about the things that I am grateful for. I was amazed by how many of the things that I am grateful for involve technology and modern inventions. I think that this is largely due to the fact that they make our lives easier and more convenient.

Two inventions that I am grateful for are the refrigerator and air conditioning. (Yes, even though it is below freezing outside right now I am still grateful that when it is hot outside during the summer there is a way to keep it cooler inside.) 

Industrial air conditioning was invented and patented by Willis Haviland Carrier in 1907.  His invention focused on controlling air temperature and humidity so that they were ideal for industrial settings such as factories. 

Other people around the early 20th century worked on ways to cool public areas, such as museums, movie theaters, and office buildings. 

Refrigerators work very simliarly to air conditioning--they basically keep all the air conditioning in one area. 
Here is a short video describing how a refrigerator works. 


How Do Refrigerators Work? -- powered by eHow.com

Next time you open the refrigerator or turn on the AC, stop and think for a minute about how amazing these inventions are! 

Check out some of my classmates great posts about other modern inventions!
Parker's post on Electricity
Eric's post on the car
Kristi's post on the telegraph

No comments:

Post a Comment